Andrew S. McIlvaine
Attorney Andrew S. McIlvaine practices primarily in the areas of employment law and litigation, commercial and general business counseling and litigation, real estate litigation, landlord/tenant law, construction litigation, contract drafting and negotiations, complex administrative hearing proceedings and appeals, non-competition and non-solicitation disputes, judgment enforcement and collection proceedings.
Attorney McIlvaine is admitted to practice law in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, the United States District Court - District of Massachusetts, the State of Ohio, and the United States District Court – Northern District of Ohio.
Education / Background
Mr. McIlvaine received his Juris Doctorate with Cum Laude honors from The Ohio State University College of Law, Columbus, Ohio, 1996, where he was also awarded West Publishing's Clinical Programs Honor for performance in civil law clinic. He earned his Bachelor of Arts with Magna Cum Laude and Phi Beta Kappa honors from Marietta College, Marietta, Ohio, 1993. While at Marietta, Attorney McIlvaine also completed Marietta College’s Honors Program, the Bernard McDonough Center for Leadership and Business Program, and American University’s American National Government Program in Washington, D.C.
Prior to joining Bennett & Belfort, P.C., Mr. McIlvaine practiced at Palecek, McIlvaine, Hoffmann & Morse, L.P.A., and as a sole practitioner. Attorney McIlvaine’s legal counseling and litigation experience is extensive, and includes:
* Litigation of employment claims, including discrimination and harassment claims, Americans With Disabilities Act (“ADA”) claims, Title VII, Age Discrimination In Employment Act claims (“ADEA”), Family Medical Leave Act (“FMLA”) claims and corresponding state claims, trade secret, confidentiality, and non-compete covenants.
* Advising clients of their employment law rights and obligations, including employment terms and termination, and employment handbooks.
* Representing individuals and businesses in administrative and public hearings at the local, state administrative, and federal administrative level, including claims involving the ADA, Title VII, ADEA, the Fair Housing Act, FMLA and parallel state claims, zoning variances, liquor licensing, and real estate zoning rights.
* Drafting and negotiating contracts, including business sale and security agreements, incorporations, business operating agreements, UCC provisions, agreements subject to state and federal business franchise laws, settlements and releases, and complex multi-million dollar land developer deals.
* Litigation of both jury trials and non-jury trials, judicial, administrative, and grievance hearings, public and agency proceedings, and licensing boards.
* Representing tenants and landlords in evictions, zoning variance and appeals, housing discrimination claims, and mechanics lien resolution.
Attorney McIlvaine lives with his wife and daughter in Cambridge, Massachusetts, where he is an enthusiastic hiker, volunteer at park and river clean-up projects and participant in regional compass and topography map orienteering races.
Mr. McIlvaine has served as a trustee and officer on a variety of public boards and non-profit corporations, including municipal Boards of Zoning Appeals, the Wadsworth public library, the New England Orienteering Club, Habitat for Humanity of Medina County, and the Wadsworth Blue Tip Match Festival and Parade - a fund raiser which helps financially support multiple community initiatives.
(617) 577-8800 x209