Bennett & Belfort, P.C. partner, David E. Belfort , co-chaired, along with Margaret Paget and John Tocci a November 24, 2015 round table discussion at the Massachusetts Bar Association entitled “Legislative Updates on Employment Law with State Legislators” .
The legislative panelists included Rep. John Scibak, Chairman, Joint Committee on Labor and Workforce Development, Sen. Michael J. Barrett, Vice Chair, Joint Committee on Labor and Workforce Development and Rep. Kenneth I. Gordon, Vice Chair, Joint Committee on Election Laws and primary sponsor of H1718 .
The panelists engaged in a lively discussion in a packed room, providing helpful insights into the legislative process and their views on the likelihood that various pending employment legislation would become law.
The panelists addressed the following bills:
- H1769 – The Pregnant Workers Fairness Act
- H1718 – An Act Establishing Family and Medical Leave and Temporary Disability Insurance
- H1771 – An Act Addressing Workplace Bullying and Harassment
- H786 – the Mental Health Parity Bill, and
- H1757 – An Act addressing Non-discrimination Training in the Workplace
- S1024 – An Act to establish a living wage for employees of big box retail stores and fast food chains.
- Various Minimum Wage initiates.